Do you want to join a mission-driven organization that makes a difference in the U.S. healthcare landscape? Do you have a passion for bridging the gap in equity and ensuring access to life-saving cancer treatments for all?
ASTRO is the premier radiation oncology society in the world, with more than 10,000 members who are physicians, nurses, biologists, physicists, radiation therapists, dosimetrists and other health care professionals who specialize in treating patients with radiation therapies. These medical professionals make up the radiation therapy treatment teams that are critical in the fight against cancer. Together, these teams treat more than one million cancer patients each year.
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) is a newly created senior-level management position, leading the development and implementation of proactive DEI programs and initiatives in support of the Society's strategic plan.
The DEI Director champions the importance and value of a diverse and inclusive Society. The individual provides programmatic and policy expertise, while serving as the central resource for the Society's leaders. They will be responsible for developing and implementing the Society's strategic DEI priorities across the radiation oncology continuum.
The individual will work directly with ASTRO's volunteer committees and Executive Leadership to plan and implement ASTRO's activities related to its DEI priorities that support ASTRO's mission and as directed by the Board of Directors.
The Director will closely collaborate with all ASTRO departments and serves as a primary DEI liaison to ASTRO's stakeholders to assess potential barriers and develop strategies to engage and retain a diverse membership while executing the strategic plan. Additionally, the Director, DEI will collaborate with ASTRO stakeholders to assess the need for, and recommend programs for collaboration and training initiatives on, anti-racism, heath equity disparities, cultural competency, gender differences, and other DEI topics.
NOTE: The position is based in Arlington, VA at ASTRO's headquarters. The position is eligible for telework up to 2x/week after 6 months of successful employment. All employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition for employment.
Major responsibilities will include:
- Staffs and provides thought leadership to the ASTRO Health Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council, including the leadership committee and oversees the planning of the HEDI Council committees' meetings and activities to identify, develop and implement Society's programs to meet the organization's goals.
- Develops initiatives that promote EDI and maintain ASTRO's position as the premier society for radiation oncology.
- Oversees the ASTRO programs including the Aspiring Scientists and Physicians, Minority Summer Fellowship, and Leadership Protege Pipeline and works closely with collaborators, including ASTRO colleagues, to promote opportunities.
- Develops and maintains collaborative programs and good working relationships with the EDI staff of partner organizations (AAMC, NMA, NHMA, AACU, etc), including federal agencies (NCI, NSF), professional societies (ASCO, ACR) and others (such as HBCUs) to advance EDI priorities.
- Disseminates EDI opportunities and best practices within radiation oncology through ASTRO communications channels and outside partners.
- Manages department staff who work to support ASTRO's Health EDI Council, providing both strategic and operational direction; builds strong teams, provides professional development and mentorship opportunities.
- Internal lead on EDI issues and supports collaboration and engagement with ASTRO staff.
- Provides expertise to the Society and staff concerning the development and implementation of EDI policies that affect radiation oncology research.
- Advises the Board on key EDI issues and helps to inform the strategic plan that supports the Society's mission.
- Develops and oversees the budget for DEI.
- Partner with HR to bring DEI trainings and programs to staff in the form of professional development; serve as a resource as needed.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Master's Degree or equivalent training in research, health or social sciences, or related experience.
- Minimum of 8 years work experience with 4-6 years in a leadership/management role and at least 4 years of experience working in EDI, 4 years experience STEM preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with strategic partnering and relationship-building
- Ability to establish working relationships with diverse groups, including coalitions of scientific societies, scientists, physicians, policy-makers
- Proven leadership, team-building skills, and commitment to diversity are required
- Experience with organizations such as AAMC, NMA, NHMA, AACU, etc., including federal agencies (NCI, NSF, NIH), professional societies (ASCO, ACR) and others (such as HBCUs) to advance EDI priorities.
- Critical thinking and innovative entrepreneurial skills
- Experience in the area of public policy, science policy, regulatory processes
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Ability to work with volunteers to develop and implement projects
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting, organize work projects, and complete tasks within assigned timeframes
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
General office. Some travel required approximately 10% of the time. Occasional attendance at and/or support of ASTRO-sponsored meetings and events outside of normal working hours (evenings and/or weekends).
ASTRO offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Flexible work arrangements including telework up to 2 days/week (after 6 months of employment)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, majority company paid
- 401K with immediate company contribution
- 23 days of Paid Time Off annually
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance and more
Please see our website ~~~ for more information about ASTRO.
We are an equal/affirmative action employer.