Chris-Craft is a premium boat manufacturer participating in the luxury goods industry looking for an enthusiastic Design Engineer who wants to be part of a great team building a world-class product.
Responsible for researching, generating, developing and implementing mechanical, electrical, laminate, and structural system designs for all Chris Craft products. Engineering will be performed to ensure designs are robust and manufacturing friendly. These systems must meet all necessary internal quality and supplier requirements and be executed to meet industry and regulatory requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure reliable engineering and integration of boat systems to include but not limited to component development, plumbing, fuel systems, water systems, hardware development, mechanical component layouts. Ensure that designs meet all supplier, regulatory and internal quality standards and specifications.
- Ensure that equipment and component suppliers are consulted with during design and during the resolution of technical issues.
- Provide accurate material and component specification for the sourcing of new and replacement components.
- Ensure that new designs and components meet the cost, performance and functional requirements of the new and enhancement boat programs
- Work with suppliers on the development of new systems and components to ensure continuous improvement in the quality and value of our boats systems
- Development of new product ideas and systems in a form of 2D drawings and 3D CAD models prior to physical execution
- Generate engineering drawings for new designs and approve all prints for boat release
- Generate, review and approve engineering change notice's (ECN) as required
- Resolve assigned Engineering Change Requests (ECRs) to make employee driven improvements
- Participate in manufacturing integration activities to ensure successful launches of new products and technologies as well as continuous improvement activities.
- Support manufacturing and customer service on issues resolution
- Ensure that designs have been fully validated and that they meet necessary system specifications and performance requirements.
- Utilize warranty data to identify issues related to mechanical systems for mitigation purposes.
- Provide technical evaluations and reports on issues for customer service and field problems.
- Ensure compliance with all necessary industry, domestic and international government regulations.
- Ensure that all materials used in the manufacture of finished products have been tested and approved for quality and reliability.
- Perform final system design verification tests as needed
- Ensure timely and adequate completion of all applicable phases of project
- Must be willing to travel (minimum 10%).
- Achievement - drive to work towards a standard of excellence
- Analytical thinker - break down and analyze problems
- Change Leadership - supports and champions change
- Impact and Influence - persuade or convince others to get support
- Initiative Driven - proactively doing things (short/long-term)
- Organizational Awareness - Understands the organizational structure and decision-influencers
- Team Player - take a role on a team and cooperatively work with others
- Bachelor's Degree in (Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, related discipline) required
- Consideration will be given to candidates with significant work experience in lieu of education
Experience and Skills
- 3-5 years' experience in marine product design preferred with knowledge of production processes.
- CAD experience; AutoCAD/Mechanical Desktop, Rhino NX, Catia or Pro E preferred
- 3-D modeling skills required
- Lean Six Sigma certification or experience is a plus
- Commitment to quality and standards that are accepted by the industry
- Must interface well with other employees and departments throughout Chris Craft as well as outside vendors, dealers and retail customers
- Must be able to work extra hours required to assume timely completion of critical projects
- Proficiency in PC based tools with a focus on Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, email and general web-based applications.
- Problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Good communication skills both verbal and written
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer as well as a drug-free workplace. All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and background screen.